Saturday 25 September 2010

Love, Aubrey - Suzanne LaFleur

Paperback: 272 pages
Publisher:
Puffin (7 Jan 2010)

I had everything I needed to run a household: a house, food, and a new family. From now on it would just be me and Sammy–the two of us, and no one else."

A tragic accident has turned eleven-year-old Aubrey’s world upside down. Starting a new life all alone, Aubrey has everything she thinks she needs: SpaghettiOs and Sammy, her new pet fish. She cannot talk about what happened to her. Writing letters is the only thing that feels right to Aubrey, even if no one ever reads them.


Emotional. That is the only word that comes to mind.

For a first novel, I thought Suzanne did a stunning job. I liked the way this book really gave me a strong insight into what losing a loved one might feel like.
This novel really plays with your emotions. One minute you are laughing along with her, and the next feeling tearful for this innocent little girl. I felt she really did capture the essence of an 11 year old girl wonderfully!

Pleasingly, Aubrey didn't get annoying! I sometimes find that when reading a story about loss, characters can sometimes seem like they are in an endless black hole with no good left in the world, but not Aubrey. She managed to stay sweet and touch your heart right through to the very last page.

Aubrey's new friend was also a cute, lovable character, and I loved seeing Aubrey's relationship develop as she overcome her sorrow. The handwritten letters were also a nice add-on!
Thoroughly enjoyed this one.

4/5


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to recieve comments and If you drop me a link I will check out your Blog :)