Monday 15 November 2010

A Great and Terrible Beauty - Libba Bray

Paperback: 403 pages Simon & Schuster Children's; New edition edition (2 May 2006)

It's 1895, and after the death of her mother, 16-year-old Gemma Doyle is shipped off from the life she knows in India to Spence, a proper boarding school in England. Lonely, guilt-ridden, and prone to visions of the future that have an uncomfortable habit of coming true, Gemma's reception there is a chilly one. To make things worse, she's being followed by a mysterious young Indian man, a man sent to watch her. But why? What is her destiny? And what will her entanglement with Spence's most powerful girls - and their foray into the spiritual world - lead to?

Magical. Absolutely magical.
The thing that really pulled me towards this book was the historical side to this novel, and I most definitely was not disappointed! I found my self reading late into the night just to find out what was going to happen to these girls.

Libba Bray has created characters filled with personality, not one at all got on my nerves. I loved being able to have an insight into the harsh reality of the 19th century society, where these young girls were just being married off to wealthy men. Now looking back on it, I think this is what gave the book that personality and oomph. All these girls wanted was to be free.

Gemma was a very strong character indeed, with lots of will power. She kept me gripped to my seat, waiting
to see what was to become of her dark visions.
The setting again, was exquisite. An old boarding school. A misty forest. A dark cave. What could be better!? 
An eerie romance was also a brew in this novel but didn't really progress a whole lot.
I cannot wait to devour the next installment in the series 'Rebel Angels.' 

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to recieve comments and If you drop me a link I will check out your Blog :)