Sunday 10 June 2012

Deadly Little Secrets - Laurie Faria Stolarz


Until three months ago, everything about sixteen-year-old Camelia's life had been fairly ordinary: decent grades; an okay relationship with her parents; and a pretty cool part-time job at an art studio downtown. But when Ben, the mysterious new guy, starts junior year at her high school, Camelia's life becomes far from ordinary.

Rumored to be somehow responsible for his ex-girlfriend's accidental death, Ben is immediately ostracized by everyone on campus. Except for Camelia. She's reluctant to believe he's trouble, even when her friends try to convince her otherwise. Instead she's inexplicably drawn to Ben...and to his touch. But soon, Camelia is receiving eerie phone calls and strange packages with threatening notes. Ben insists she is in danger, and that he can help – but can he be trusted? She knows he's hiding something...but he's not the only one with a secret.

Firstly, let me start by saying this is my first book I have read by Laurie Faria Stolarz, and my, what a great, fast paced heart pounding read! So, without further ado, lets get on with the review shall we?

I'm not going to lie, in the beginning, I was very unsure of this book. This is because it seemed like it was a carbon copy of Twilight. It even had the whole 'car crash' scene, so initially, I was rather turned off. However, once you get about a quarter of the way through, this book totally grips you, and I was instantly hooked! 

The thing I love most about this book, is probably the super mysterious plot line. Laurie has managed to involve you in this completely bewildering case, leaving you speechless as to who Camelia's - the main protagonist's - stalker is. The finally when it is revealed, well, let's just say my jaw dropped.

Another thing that made this book as enjoyable as it was, was its dynamic characters. This included the mysterious, sexy boy, who was so alluring, leaving you yearning to learn more about him. Camelia was also a very enjoyable character and numerous times, I felt like I was standing in her shoes and couldn't feel a tad frightened at times! Her two best friends - Wes and Kimmie, were also hilarious, and I found myself constantly laughing out loud at their 'banter' between each other.

Overall, this book was such a fun, mysterious and at times scary, yet light read. It actually in some places reminded me of Pretty Little Liars, and being a fan, I LOVED this! I definitely recommend this for a quick, yet totally intoxicating read.

4/5 



1 comment:

I love to recieve comments and If you drop me a link I will check out your Blog :)